Introduction to Kayaking
This course will teach you all the basics of kayaking in a safe environment. The skills you develop in this course will help to prepare you for outdoor experiences whether it be on flat water or moving water. If interested, we can also introduce you to the sport of kayak polo. We recommend this as the first course to take if you are new to kayaking. We do not focus on rolling in this course. If this is an interest of yours, please inquire about our rolling/bracing course that is offered.
We supply all the paddling equipment: kayak, paddle, spray deck, PFD.
Where: Kinsmen Sports Centre
- Adult Course Round 1 on Sundays: Oct 4, 11, 18, 25
- Time: 6:30PM to 7:45 PM
- Adult Course Round 2 on Thursdays: Nov 12, 19, 26, Dec 3, 10
- Time: 8:45PM to 10:00PM
Cost: $179 (+$35 adult membership)
A couple things you should know for your first lesson.
- Equipment: we provide all the gear for you to participate in kayaking (kayak, paddle, PFD, spray deck.) But some items you should bring are: bathing suit and towel. Items you could bring depending on your personal comfort: water bottle, rash guard, long stretchy pants (spandex or neoprene).
- Due to the pandemic, your arrival and procedure instructions will change, we will update you when we are given a clear plan from the Kinsmen staff…stay tuned for more details.
Looking forward to seeing you at our lessons!
Our online payment system is currently undergoing an upgrade. To sign up for lessons, please contact us to let us know and we will invoice you.
Drop In Sessions
Starting in November, all members can drop in to the pool sessions on Tuesday nights from 8:15pm to 10pm. These sessions are targeted towards paddlers who are interested in playing some kayak polo. You should have some experience (ie. you have taken an intro course with us or have other experiences that have given you the skills/comfort to kayak on your own in a pool.)
On Thursday nights starting in November, we also run drop in polo sessions from 8:45PM until 10:30PM. These sessions tend to bring out our more advanced for regular polo players.
Members can access the club gear and independently paddle around to work on building your kayaking skills. Keep in mind that lessons have a priority on the usage of the equipment. If you are interested, we can also work on integrating you into the group that will be there playing polo.
EWP membership is required to paddle and to use the club equipment.
Earn a discount when packages of 8 sessions are purchased.
- Novice Adult: $10 per session, or $60 for 8 sessions
- Advanced Adult: $20 per session, or $120 for 8 sessions
Payment for sessions must be made before getting on the water. Usage is tracked through our online system every evening.
Our online payment system is currently undergoing an upgrade. To sign up for lessons or inquire about drop ins, please contact us to let us know what you would like to purchase and we will invoice you.