Adult Programs (Summer)
Introduction to Kayaking
This course will teach you all the basics of kayaking in a safe environment. The skills you develop in this course will help to prepare you for outdoor experiences whether it be on flat water or moving water. We go over the necessary gear and how to fit yourself in the equipment. You will learn the different types of strokes to help you maneuver your kayak safely in still and moving water. You will get more comfortable with your edges and being able to direct your kayak forwards, backwards, sideways. You will learn some river safety and how to manage getting in and out of eddies. We usually incorporate some kayak polo or playing with a ball at the end of the classes for fun and further practice on figuring out how to maneuver your boat.
We recommend this as the first course to take if you are new to kayaking. We do not focus on rolling in this course. Please inquire about our rolling/bracing course that is offered if there is enough interest.
We supply all the paddling equipment: kayak, paddle, spray deck, PFD.
Where: Rundle Park Paddling Centre
What: Novice adult introduction to kayaking course
- Round 1 (Mondays: 7:00PM – 8:30PM)
- June 7, 14, 21, 28 (Group 1) – FULL
- June 7, 14, 21, 28 (Group 2) – FULL
- Round 2 (Wednesdays: 6:30PM-8:00PM)
- July 7, 14, 21, 28 – FULL
- Round 3 (Wednesdays: 7:00PM-8:30PM)
- August 4, 11, 18, 25
Cost: $180 (+$35 adult membership)
A couple things you should know for your first lesson:
- Equipment: we provide all the gear for you to participate in kayaking (kayak, paddle, PFD, spray deck.) But some items you should bring are: bathing suit and towel. Items you could bring depending on your personal comfort: water bottle, rash guard, warm top, long stretchy pants (spandex or neoprene).
- Due to the pandemic, we will be following proper hygiene and distancing protocols throughout the lesson.
Looking forward to seeing you at our lessons!
Drop In Sessions
Drop in Polo Night
On Thursday nights, we run drop in polo sessions from 7:00PM until sundown. These sessions tend to bring out our more advanced polo players, but we are happy to try and integrate paddlers who are interested in playing some kayak polo. You should have kayaking experience (ie. you have taken an intro course with us or have other experiences that have given you the skills/comfort to kayak independently.)
Drop in Paddling
On Wednesday nights, we are offering some open paddling sessions from 7:00PM to 8:30PM. Feel free to use this as an opportunity to practice skills that you learn from the lesson programming.
Members are welcome to access the club gear and independently paddle around to work on building your kayaking skills. Keep in mind that lesson groups have a priority on the usage of the equipment.
EWP membership is required to paddle and to use the club equipment.
Outdoor drop in session are FREE with purchase of annual membership ($35 for adults).
Membership payment must be made before getting on the water.
Click here to become a member.